Tuesday, 5 October 2010

Day 5 - Your Favourite Quote.

Maya Angelou has plenty of pithy stuff to say about life. At college I had her poem "Phenomenal Woman" on my wall (although it isn't entirely true to suggest that I had men falling on their knees around me. But I'm allowed a little poetic licence, surely?)

I like this one of hers:

"When we knew what we knew, we did what we did - when we knew better, we did better"

 (I found slightly different versions when googling this, so I don't know if this the actual quotation). 

Immediately after Emma died, both Dave and I talked about becoming better parents as a result of her death. It doesn't always work that way, I know. Grief is tiring and sometimes, of necessity, selfish. Sometimes I have been a far worse parent when I am mired in thick, sludgy sadness. But, now that I know better than most how precious and fragile the lives of my children are, I try to do better by them.

4 comments:

Catherine W said...

I love this quote and it cuts both ways. Helps you to forgive yourself and to forgive others, to have faith that others will do better and to have faith that you yourself will do better. It just takes time and knowledge. Lovely quote Jill. x

lost--for--words said...

I like that quote... it is so true. Learning is a lifelong journey. Like you, I feel that I've gained a whole lot of wisdom that most people my age don't (and probably shouldn't) have.

Jeanette said...

Love that quote too. x

Jessica said...

I could not agree more with this post. I love the quote and know that losing our daughter has made us better parents.