Sunday, 17 October 2010

Day 17 - A Piece of Art.

For the longest time, I had a chip on my shoulder about "Art". I wasn't well taught, I don't think. My art teachers had a lot of time for those with natural aptitude (I wasn't one of those) but there was very little encouragement for those of us who might have had a lot of enjoyment in the process, even if the result wasn't polished. Nor do I remember being given much encouragement to appreciate beautiful pieces created by others. I was just pretty ground down - both my teacher and I breathed a sigh of relief when I opted not to continue my art to exam level.

So, I had this idea that it was somehow inaccessible to me. My first experience of enjoying art was studying Impressionism for my A-level French. The course included a 4 day stay in Paris (and the resort formerly known as "Euro.Disney"), with a visit to the Musee d'Orsay. And, maybe it's a cliche, but that's when I became engaged with "Art". I had to do a fifteen minute presentation (in French) on this piece. I have a framed reproduction of it on our bedroom wall. Post loss, I still love the innocence I associate with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think my interest in art has gotten stronger since Cullen died.
Love that you studied french as well. I wish I was as fluent as I once was....