Monday, 23 March 2009

It was Mother's Day yesterday

I have said that if I ever write a memoir about Emma, I'd have to call it "Life in the Conditional Tense" because it is so hard not to spend so much time with the shoulds and the woulds and the what ifs. Yesterday should have been my most perfect mother's day. I should have been celebrating the fact that my family is complete and I get to watch them grow. But it isn't like that. I didn't get woken up in the wee small hours by a hungry, chubby 5 month old.

But ... it wasn't so bad. Bittersweet ... as is much of life now. I was allowed a lovely long lie in and I was woken by 2 very excited little people and their daddy with a tray full of breakfast goodies. I got 3 gorgeous cards - two my lovely son & daughter had made a nursery and school. One bought by daddy and decorated by the kids. They worked very hard on it yesterday (I guessed what they were up to ... 4 year olds are not discreet) and their daddy announced it was a card to celebrate life, a card full of exuberance. And, you know, the card from my stillborn daughter was indeed full of life - the children had coloured it with bright colours, stuck wobbly eyes and felt poms poms wherever there was a gap and daddy had written the verse:
Dear mummy,
I am your forever baby,
forever your princess,
forever in your heart.
I love you,
my forever mummy.

Emma xxx

As sad & as incomplete as I felt yesterday, I also felt deeply, deeply blessed for what I do have. I just miss my smallest girl.

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain." (Khalil Gibran)



5 comments:

Hope's Mama said...

It sounds like it was very much still a special day. I am dreading our Mothers Day in May. Thinking o you and lovely little Emma.

Shannon Ryan said...

I love the pictures of the cards. I know I already said this.. but what a wonderful loving family you have!! i'm so happy that your older children are able to embrace Emma as well! :)

k@lakly said...

What beautiful cards. How incredibly bittersweet the day has become...Mother's Day. Who knew the sadness we would all feel on a day meant to celebrate.
Thinking of you and Emma.
xxoo

Dalene said...

What a beautiful, loving family you have. The message written by your hubby brought me to tears. Your "forever baby", I like that.

Lea said...

So, so beautiful. Happy Mother's Day. I wish precious Emma was in your arms where she belongs.

xo