... since I held our long awaited third child in my arms. She was so, so beautiful - the image of her big sister. Sometimes it feels as though I blinked and woke up here. Other times it feels as though I've lived 5 lifetimes in these 5 months.
The hours leading to her birth seem dreamlike now - labouring at home in the birth pool, deciding to transfer because I was tired (but baby was fine); the registrar preparing the ventouse, my midwife laughing and saying "You don't need it clever girl, baby has turned. You can do it yourself"; the most triumphant moment of my life when I pushed our baby out and lifted it to my tummy, the shock and elation of finding out "Bobby" was a girl after all ... and then. Baby girl isn't breathing. She's taken from my chest to the resuscitaire, I can't see her because she's surrounded by doctors (I'm grateful. My husband could see and finds it hard to talk about even now). We agree her name is Emma (suggested by daddy just hours before) and I add Faith - trying to affirm I believe she'll be fine. I know she won't be. How? How do I know this? I just do. Her soul is already elsewhere.
Those words ... "I'm so sorry" and then she is back with us, warm and safe and perfect in my arms. We have photographs from these first moments - such precious treasures now. The first photograph we have is almost identical to the ones we have when our son and first daughter were born. Tiny baby wrapped in a towel, nestled in mama's arms. Daddy's arms around us both. We're smiling, tired but proud parents. I'm glad - glad the shock allowed us that moment of normality before we awoke to the fact that "normal" for us now is so very different from what it was before.
Normal, today, is allowing my 6 year old son to choose the flowers we will take to his sister's grave (yellow roses - he has excellent taste). It's hoping that I'll manage to avoid the 5 other mothers who gave birth to baby girls (not a single boy) between September & December 08 when I collect my daughter from nursery - and averting my eyes if I don't. It's feeling perpetual anger simmering beneath the surface. I was always so calm, so placid before - this rage frightens me. It's aimed at God mostly, as I wrestle with the tenets of a Christian faith I have cherished almost my whole life. I still believe, I want to find comfort but I cannot blindly accept this and the answers to the questions don't make sense to me yet - I'm uncertain whether they ever will. But I want them too. I am finding it hard enough to grieve my daughter. I don't want to grieve a loss of faith too. I call it "faith by my fingertips". Is it worth the effort? I have to believe so, most days. But that doesn't stop the anger or the anguish.
When I held my daughter in the quiet and stillness after her birth, I told my husband that I needed her death to mean something. I still do ... I know her death from a probable cord accident is senseless and horrific but I NEED good things to come from it. But I'm learning that I can't force those good things - they are aspirations right now, not reality. Some of the women walking this path ahead of me talk about the compassion they have now, the ability to appreciate life. I find it hard to accept that my child needed to die for me to become more compassionate. Current evidence suggests that I am less compassionate, less patient. My internal response to hearing bad news is almost always, "well, that's hardly as bad as a baby dying is it?" Some of my relationships have deepened and blossomed, many more are dying or have died. My joy in pregnant bellies and newborns is gone, perhaps for good. My daughter's 6 month old girl cousin, her shadow companion & bump mate, is a virtual stranger to me. I can look at pictures of dead babies and admire how perfect and beautiful they are. I can't be in the same room as a living one.
Perhaps for now, I shall hold on to the fact that my living children are the beneficiaries of my desire to find glimmers of hope in this morass of horror. I cherish them with a love that is strong and fierce and potent. Five months on, I get out of bed each day for them - and maybe that is enough for now.
4 comments:
I feel the same way.. and always feel so strange saying it because I can't make sense of it..'it' being time.. how can I feel like I've just woken up, but also like he's been gone forever!? It must be something our bodies do to help ease our pain? hmm
I also knew lots of people (10 in 2008) to have babies.. ALL GIRLS - Dresden was the only boy. I think it makes life a tad easier? If that's possible.. but baby boys are harder to look at for me.. plus I feel like how could we not NEED that ONE boy!?! It's so hard!
I also have no sympathy for other people's 'bad news' - oh, you lost your job??/ well, my baby is DEAD.. TRUMP! It's worse than anything they've got... they can't have anything worse than what I've got.. and I hope they NEVER do!
Thank you for sharing your beautiful words and your beautiful Emma.. also the statue of hands holding a baby is stunning!! Where did you get that??
I understand what you mean about needed Emma's death to mean something. For me, I can't have Baker's life and death be ALL about pain and sadness. Slowly the gifts that he's given us are emerging--the strengthening of my marriage is the one that comes to mind now.
This post resonated with me... you make so many points that perfectly articulate how I am feeling. I am so, so sorry about Emma.
xo
New to the babylost community and scouring all the blogs I can get my eyes on. Just saw yours and haven't read much but went to the beginning to read your story, and I wanted to say first and foremost I am sorry for your loss. I also want to say that I am floored at how similar a recent post I made is to this one in terms of your insisting that something good has to come from this. I feel the same way. The realization that it can't be forced is something that has just come to me. Some time when I have more time I will go through more of your blog, as I can already see it is an inspiring one. (hugs) ~Lindsay
Post a Comment