Friday, 27 March 2009

10 years ago ...

I stood at the front of church and promised "For better, for worse". I could never, ever have envisaged what that would mean in reality. The best has been better than anything I could possibly have dreamed up. The worst ... well, I don't need to say do I? Nobody says their wedding vows, imagining the day they'll have to bury their child.

My husband is my best friend, truly. For all that's a cliche ... it's absolutely right. I still wake up and turn over to find him in the morning and feel relief and joy and peace that he is there next to me in the bed. I honestly don't know where I'd be right now if I hadn't had his hand to hold on this horrible, horrible bit of our journey. I feel as if we're two battered trees, falling towards each other. Somehow, our branches are tangled and we prop each other up - not in strength but in struggling together.

It's because of him that I know I have strength for this. After ten years, I say again, "For better, for worse" ... forever.

6 comments:

Davecaster said...

Much as I would like to, I can't promise that good times are just around the corner. I can promise though, that whatever lies around the corner we'll tackle together. I will still be holding your hand. I love you.

Dave

still life angie said...

God, that is beautiful. I love the image of the two trees falling towards each other. Simply perfect. Wishing you a peaceful anniversary. Much love.

Hope's Mama said...

I also never realised just what "for worse" was going to entail.....

Shannon Ryan said...

Awww sonny boy is sweet! :) HAPPY ANNIVERSARY Jill! Enjoy your special day!

Dalene said...

Sometimes I look at the wedding photo framed on the end table and marvel at how young and innocent we look. We had no idea what was coming down the road.

Rachele Stuart said...

Exactly. I thought the "worse" would be like when Garrin lost his job, or when we fought. I never imagined the "worse" would be burying our first born son. But, it's like you say. Garrin is my best friend, too, and I don't have any idea how either of us could have made it through this without each other.

Anyways, Happy Anniversary, again. :)