Thursday, 26 November 2009

Subsequent Pregnancy Guilt

Survivor, survivor's, or survivors guilt or syndrome is a mental condition that occurs when a person perceives himself or herself to have done wrong by surviving a traumatic event. It may be found among survivors of combat and natural disaster, among the friends and family of those who have committed suicide, and in non-mortal situations among those whose colleagues are laid off. The experience and manifestation of survivor's guilt will depend on an individual's psychological profile.
(from Wiki.ped.ia)

Lately, I've been dealing quite a lot with what I can only really describe as "Subsequent pregnancy" guilt. I love this community. I have no doubt that my path through grief has been a little smoother, a little less lonely because of my involvement in various online communities. But, it is strange to actually cry tears of anger, frustration, joy for people I have never met face to face. There is a large degree of trust going on here. You have to trust that I am truly a bereaved mother, just as I do for you. And I do ...

To digress for a moment: my husband and I are big fans of a cult, terribly British, sci-fi show from the seventies (sounds great, doesn't it !?) called Blake's 7. I remember, in particular, an episode when an idealist, alien, freedom fighter tells a far more cynical character: "My people have a saying. One who trusts can never be betrayed, only mistaken." I can't quite decide if that is profound or just terribly cheesy. Maybe it's both. But I think of that quote often when I'm meandering around in cyberspace, especially this babylost portion. I choose to believe the blogs I read - usually because there is something in them that strikes me as real or honest, something I recognise from my own experience of losing a child. As a result, I do invest a lot of emotional energy in what I read. I quite often dwell on posts throughout my day. I quite often feel frustration at my inability to do more than simply post an (often inane) comment.

So, back to the pregnancy guilt. There are a lot of us here who are navigating our ways through pregnancy after loss. But, I am so very aware at the moment, there are many other blogging parents who are hoping and longing for another pregnancy. And I feel so tremendously guilty that I already have 2 living children and I've been able to conceive with relative ease again. I feel a little ashamed of having broadcast my very straightforward, average PAL when other pregnancies after loss are not straightforward and have risks of complications and difficulties attached.

I suppose all I can do is to say that I do not take the blessing of my living children for granted. I do not, ever - not for one minute - take the blessing of this little life within for granted. In the midst of fears about losing again and grieving again, I do acknowledge the awesome privilege that this pregnancy has been and is. And to say that I long for each and every babylost mother or father who wants it to be able to walk this path too is an understatement.

12 comments:

Jeanette said...

This subject does seem to be popping up on a few blogs lately doesn't it?
I feel guilty for even wanting to be pregnant again. I'm not yet, and well who knows what the future holds for us, I'm 40, we have four living children, and are heartbroken at the loss of our fifth. I know maybe some might say we are being greedy wanting more.
Like you I read blogs and I hold the authors in my heart all day through. I wish I could ease everyone's pain, and sprinkle that famous forum "baby dust" liberally.
I love the Blake 7 quote, it may be cheesy,but it's how I choose to live my life.x

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you for the honesty in this post, it has really helped me for one.

You should never feel bad or guilty for having living children or being pregnant. It isn't as if you are having my baby instead of me! Personally your last paragraph says it all for me - the fact that you appreciate these for what they are and do not take them for granted is fantastic and I would never be annoyed for that reason.

Just like (re the first quote) a survivor of a plane crash shouldn't feel guilty for surviving.

Sorry if stating the obvious here but as someone who cannot have more children I think it is worth me saying it anyway. I am genuinely pleased you are expecting and I hope the pregnancy is straightforward and that your baby will bring you tremendous joy when it arrives.

Peace and best wishes to you

JamieW said...

I think we all have these thoughts. I am not pregnant again and I hope it isn't a struggle to become pregnant but my greatest fear is that I am being selfish for even wanting another. I have always felt that motherhood has been selfish for me as how else could it be the thing that has brought me the most happiness.

You seem to have a great perspective and of course you don't take it for granted. We will unfortunately and fortunately never take one day with any of our children for granted.

Juliet said...

Thank you for sharing how much you appreciate and recognise your blessings. Thank you for thinking of all of the us parents who would like to become pregnant. You are so gracious and caring.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I don't think you should be guilty for what God has given to you. You have had great suffering too.
All of the why? will be answered when we get to heaven.

margaret said...

What a nice post. Although I can't personally relate as I won't be having anymore children, I can understand the feelings of guilt posting pregnancy news to your blog. However....I believe that each person has their own ending and their own destinies to write. Sometimes fate is cruel, sometimes it is kind. You cannot suffer the pain of so many other mothers who are still trying to conceive or worry that your joy in expectancy will somehow hurt those who are still waiting their rainbow babies. Your joy is just that, yours. While some may feel hurt, it's not because they are begrudging you, it's because they are hurting for their own losses...Wishing you hugs and all the best for a peaceful, happy pregnancy.

k@lakly said...

I felt the same way and still do, in sharing my boy after on my blog. I hope that he, and his arrival offer more hope than pain, but I know, for many it is likely that the opposite is true.
I just try to be honest, and like you, remember and acknowledge the vastly different roads we travel after joining the club.
You are entitled to your joy and that in no way diminishes your ability to be supportive to anyone who needs it. It's just never easy, none of it.
xxoo

Karen said...

Very deftly written and gracefully handled. I think your compassion for other mothers comes through. Like Jeanette, we have four living children and lost our fifth. I feel guilty and on some level wonder if I'm too greedy as well. Happy for you and this new expectation and sending you all good thoughts. (((Hugs)))

still life angie said...

Yes. Beautifully put. I have been struggling a great deal with this lately. Feeling guilt for feeling anxiety. Feeling guilt for carrying a child and the ease of my conception. Feeling guilt for worrying feeling so sad about it all. It does help to know we go through these emotions together, Jill, and that I am not as big of a freak as I imagine. xo

Beth said...

i will say the same thing i said to the other mommy who just posted about this....

for what it's worth, i have this horribly resentful attitude that i dont think anyone really deserves their new baby unless they've lost one :-/ what a terrible thing to feel, let alone admit outloud! i find myself SO happy for jane (noah and charlote's mom) as i look at her new baby pictures on facebook... but i seethe with anger when i look at photos of my other friends' new babies. jealousy is such a bitch. so anyway.. i AM happy for you, even if im reeling at other pregnant/newborn moms, who havent been through loss. i never said i was rational... just honest. dont be afraid to be honest too. dont forget either, we need you.. we mommies who've been through the loss but not yet the subsequent pregnancy.. i hold on so tightly to the people who are being brave and doing it again.. i need the inspiration.

Once A Mother said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Once A Mother said...

I don't think you should feel guilty for your blessing. This is your space and you should feel free to post whatever you like. If someone is at a different place, they are free to read something else. You have suffered great loss, don't feel ashamed to rejoice in this beautiful gift. And this is coming from someone who is struggling greatly to become pregnant.