So there is an old wives tale that you lose a tooth with every pregnancy. I'm not exactly a toothless crone (yet) but I certainly seem consistent with regard to mouth trouble during pregnancy. I planned to update here earlier in the week. A more positive post to say that I have been climbing slowly back out of the funk that has surrounded me since Emma's birthday and regaining a little bit of equilibrium. Then I developed a horrible hacking cough which has kept me pretty sleepless most nights this week. Then, to add insult to injury, the wisdom teeth decided to throw one of their infrequent (but not infrequent enough) hissy fits and - well - the equilibrium vanished again.
It's hard not to feel a bit low when your mouth throbs and your chest rattles. My wisdom teeth are terribly misnamed, given that they are trying to grow into my mouth at a 45 degree angle. They have been doing this periodically for ten years. Once or twice a year they attempt to break the gum, only to hit the tooth next to them and then retract. Just one more small example of the way my body doesn't exactly do "normal" all that well. "Normal" wisdom teeth grow straight up. Normal births result in live babies. Every so often I am reminded of my body's idiosyncrasies in unpleasant and painful ways.
***
On a happier note, I had one of my monthly growth scans this week. At 29 weeks, Jurgen is estimated to weigh 2lb 12oz - exactly 50th centile on the size graphs. Whilst I know such things are not absolutely accurate, I have had 3 other babies who weighed around national average at birth so I choose to believe that Jurgen is almost certainly of "average" build too. Most of the other measurements were pretty near the middle of the charts too (a slightly larger than average tummy measurement and a very slightly shorter than average femur length? Mummy's mini me I think!). I felt a definite lightness as I walked out of the scan. It felt good knowing that, despite the distinctly unaverage nature of my emotions as I navigate pregnancy after loss, physically Jurgen and I are happily experiencing a very average pregnancy. I just keeping hoping for a perfectly average outcome.
12 comments:
Yep, right there with you, wishing for average.
xo
We hope that everything stays average until your baby is born. And then may you know anything-but average joy and happiness as you welcome your baby into your family
My wisdome teeth tried to come in for 8 years. When I was pregnant with Janessa they gave me such an incredibly hard time. One got infected all the time...it was miserbale. I just had them pulled on Friday & its been a horrible recovery but I needed to do this before any future pregnancies. Anyways, just wanted 2 let you know I feel your pain, literally.
*wisdom - ill blame that on the pain meds, lol & the other spelling mistakes *miserable, lol
Yes, wishing for a normal, uneventful, average birth. With much love.
ouch, I'm sorry you're unwell.
It's great to hear the good results on Jurgen's scan.
And I'm all with Angie here, wishing you two all the best and a continued good, normal, uneventful pregnancy and birth, too!
xxoo Ines
Oh, ouch on the wisdom teeth. Hope they decide to give you a break till after Jurgen is born. Glad his scan went well and gave you comfort. I can only imagine carrying another baby after loss. Cheering you and that little boy on! (((Hugs)))
Wishing for perfectly average with you. Glad to hear that Jurgen is growing beautifully, my growth chart obsession has not yet abated.
Hope that you feel better soon and that your teeth leave you in peace. Ouch. Love xo
average and normal never felt so good until you've heard it in a pg after joining the club. Wishing you a few more weeks of boring normalcy and a very average, but JOY filled ending to this part of the journey.
xxoo
average would be a welcome change! for all of us, i think.
average sounds pretty good right about now
sending you prayers for an easier time of it. hope you feel better soon, it's never easy when your teeth hurt.
hoping with you....
xo
christy
Post a Comment