Some days I realise all over again that these scales can't be balanced.
I'm an optimistic, "count your blessings" kind of girl. The stuffing got knocked out of me, big style, twenty-odd months ago, leaving me limp and floppy and sad. But, on the whole, I have been unwilling to sacrifice any more of me than was ripped away without my permission. So, I've strived to grieve actively, to confront it all head on. Keep my eye on those blessings. Dave, Ben, Lucy and Toby - they're my lifeblood.
But I can't put them on one side of a set of virtual scales and expect them to balance with Emma on the other side. It's not that simple. That simile doesn't work. That view of life doesn't cut it. She's my lifeblood too, my love for her wraps around everything. Sometimes, it's possible not to be sad - to remember her and simply be glad that I ever had her at all. But other times, like now, fighting my way to the positives is just too hard. I am sleep deprived - I don't mind. I am losing sleep in the best possible cause. But I know me and I know how lack of sleep pulls me down. I don't think this is depression, postnatal or otherwise. But, I don't always have the energy to fight the sadness. Finding balance is hard.
3 comments:
Oh Jill.I hear you. And I think I'm just too damn tired to type anything else myself.
Love and loads of understanding.
xo
I've tried and tried to do this balancing act myself as it would be the natural thing to do in my case. One dead, one living. Surely that would result in a perfect balance.
But I agree, I think these things are immeasurable. Those blessing are too heavy to weigh on scales, although obviously not literally before your hubs and children take issue with me! They just smash them up with their unquantifiableness (is that even a word?)
Hope you get some sleep soon x
Balance...how can you balance when your breath and center have been shaken. I've been doing hot yoga (yoga in 104 degrees...) and though I used to aspire to teach yoga, I'm the one falling out of the poses again and again. But the heat helps me to find my breath. And it feels good. My instructor tells me my balance will return. Inside...and out. I hope so.
Post a Comment