Wednesday, 6 January 2010

SOOO done with the snow

I've just read Jeanette's post and all I can say is a hearty "I agree".

This is the view from our front door:





Beautiful - but treacherous. I'm at the stage of pregnancy where, by instinct, I slow down, withdraw and go just that little deeper inside myself. But, previously, I've been this heavily pregnant during the dog days of summer (three autumn babies). I've never been forced into this sort of hibernation before.

When it first snowed, I was so excited - the potential for a white Christmas, the first I can remember (and it was!). But since Christmas, there have been four people and two guinea pigs living in what are feeling increasingly cramped conditions. Cabin fever and Pregnancy after Loss anxiety are not making for pleasant bedfellows. We have had lots of fun, the great Christmas LE.GO rebuild was a great success - Ben is now able to have full on St.ar Wa.rs LE.GO battles now that we have reconstructed most of his battle fleet.

But it's all come to head today. The children have been off school and Dave has been off work and I was supposed to go to the hospital for my 36 week scan and my final appointment with my consultant - the one where I would get to know Jurgen's birthday for definite, the one where I'd be booked in for a pre-operative blood draw and meeting with the anaesthetist. In other words, an appointment I *really* wanted to go too. We couldn't get through to the hospital - the road was blocked and we couldn't use the car. Buses weren't running and people have generally been hunkering down and keeping warm. In the scheme of things, it isn't a big deal. The appointment is rescheduled for next Wednesday and, fortunately, little one has been as good as gold. As if realising that mama needs extra reassurance today that things are okay, Jurgen has been more active than he/she has managed in a while (even in my voluminous belly, space is at a premium). But, it hasn't helped my anxiety levels. In the unlikely event I were to go into early labour, could I get to the hospital? Would an ambulance make it onto the ice rink that is our estate? What if there's a problem with my placenta or umbilical chord that might have been picked up today, an issue with fluid or growth? Might it be too late next Wednesday? Given the pregnancy I've had, it's such an unlikely scenario - but then so was a healthy baby dying 7 minutes before she arrived in the world at the end of an uncomplicated labour. ... unlikely isn't impossible and I'm having to force myself to take deep breaths and find a little bit of optimism from somewhere.

I don't need sunshine and roses but a thaw would be nice.

12 comments:

Juliet said...

The snow outside your house is so beautiful! Now that we've all seen a photo of it, it can please just go on and melt away. Thinking of you during this final stretch.

T said...

The snow is so beatiful, but sending positive thoughts for a speedy thaw, and awaiting Jurgens safe arrival with you. You are in my thoughts on these long days....

Shannon Ryan said...

i think of you often Jill! Jurgen will be here so soon!!

Once A Mother said...

praying that Jurgen chooses a beautiful, sunny, day to arrive. Thinking of you, and looking forward to reading your good news in the next few weeks or so.

margaret said...

Yup, I'm ready for it to be gone too. It's cold, it's wet and I hate it. Nothing about winter appeals to me anymore, it's lost it's magic since I was a child. What an inconvenience to you also that you should have to miss this appoinment, I'm sure you could use the reassurance that everything is just fine. Hang in there...Hugs

Hope's Mama said...

The what ifs are so hard at this point. Even when I only had hours to go, waiting for my surgery, I was still worried disaster would strike. Right up until the moment he screamed, I was worried he'd slip away. The fear is so overwhelming, but you are so damn close now.
Thinking of you every moment.
xo

Jeanette said...

I'm with you, sick of the snow, I want to see blossom, tulips and sunshine.
Thinking of you in these last few weeks.

Beth said...

gosh... this isn't the point of your blog, but i'm stuck on it. 7 minutes. man.. i thought my 20 hours before scheduled csection was bad, but 7 minutes. i am so sorry. and im sorry to focus on that, but i dont remember reading that as part of your story before. i can only imagine how difficult it must be for you right now. im glad the baby is kicking and obliging for you. hoping for a thaw, and thinking of all of you mommies about to deliver just constantly.

Anonymous said...

fingers crossed for a thaw!

after iris said...

We're snowed in too.

If it helps I'm visualising an enormous can of de-icer over your region right... NOW!

Anything?

Also Emma, I'm so delighted Jurgen is a wriggler, can't wait to meet him/her xx

after iris said...

Oh God, Jill. I can't believe I just called you Emma. I do it all the time - call Ava Iris and vice versa. Oof. Sorry.

Barbara said...

Sending thawing snow vibes if it's possible...

So close.

xxx