Saturday, 9 January 2010

Seven Minutes.

Beth left a comment on my last post that got me thinking. She said that she hadn't realised that Emma had died SEVEN minutes before she was born. I'm not surprised. I talk a lot about how I plod my way through grief and I even wrote this post about the person I thought my daughter was or might have been. But I've been reticent about sharing the details of her birth - which was also her death. Partly because I've done pretty well at avoiding the attentions of the malevolent "anonymous" trolls who leave despicable and thoughtless comments on the blogs of grieving parents. I suspect a post about birth choices might draw some of them out of the woodwork. Mainly, however, it's because I'm frightened of being revealed as a fraud. I think all of us grieving parents recognise guilt as part of the grief process. We also understand that mostly the guilt is not based on reality. But, how do you process it when choices you made are implicated in your child's death?

In real life, I have worked hard on this. Mostly, I have made peace. My obstetrician assured me just hours after Emma's death that I would never know if she might have lived through an elective section. He was sure that arriving at the hospital sooner would not have changed the outcome. They were some of the kindest words I could have heard in the immediate aftermath of her death.

But, as I approach Jurgen's increasingly imminent arrival in this world and I feel the familiar dread of a surgical birth enfold me, I realise that this might be one part of my grief that I will never fully accept or "heal" from. I'm hoping writing here will release some of the panic I feel as I prepare for our fourth child. I will have the planned section because I am a mother and I want what is best for my child. It seems that operative deliveries are best for my children so, of course, I set aside my own preferences to hopefully obtain the best and safest outcome for my baby but I miss feeling joy and anticipation at the prospect of labouring and birthing my baby myself.

Emma will be my only vaginally birthed child. Her two older siblings were born by emergency section after long and difficult labours. I experienced some post-natal post traumatic stress disorder after the birth of her elder sister. It isn't nice - it isn't, of course, one billionth as painful as living for the rest of your life with babylost grief - but it isn't a pleasant or easy way to start mothering a child. I know that some babylost parents feel very frustrated by mothers who profess birth trauma after the birth of a living child - and I understand that entirely. I mention it here because it is part of the path that led to me making the decision to pursue a vaginal birth at home with Emma. NHS protocols here meant that I would have been offered a planned section at 39 weeks for her birth. Would I be here if I hadn't declined that path? What if ... what if... two horrible words to live with.

We don't know because we don't exactly know why Emma died. I went into labour spontaneously, my labour for the most part was straightforward. Emma, by every indication used to determine distress, was a perfectly happy baby for the duration of my labour. The last time we heard her heartbeat at 2.17am, just after we had transferred to the hospital so I could have a little bit of help with my second stage, it was well within the healthy range for a baby so close to birth (and we're pretty sure it was her heartbeat not mine, something I've been asked about when I share this part of the story). At 2.25am, I birthed a baby with no breath and no heartbeat. We didn't have an autopsy because it seemed so obvious to us that it was a "birth accident". Sometimes I wonder if a postmortem would have showed something more but I think that's because I want to believe that healthy babies being born to healthy mothers during healthy labours can't die. I'm proof to myself that they can. She was a good healthy size, her placenta and cord were healthy and revealed no clues. The best guess we can make is that her cord became pinched between me and her in those final minutes.

In the absence of any definite answers to her death, I have had to simply surrender to the course of action that will bring Jurgen into the world. I don't feel like I can make any choices for this little boy or little girl. I tried last time to make the choices that were "best" and safest for myself and my child. With the benefit of hindsight, it turned out they were neither.

13 comments:

Jeanette said...

I feel the guilt too, I rationalise my birth choices, and even the anti homebirth consultants have assured me that giving birth to Florence at home made no difference to the final outcome. I know that,but it doesn't matter how many times I'm told this was not my fault, that no one could have predicted Florence would die, I still catch myself looking at her photo and saying sorry.
I feel caught in the middle now pregnant again with the doctors wanting me to birth this one in hospital when the time comes, and me wanting to just wake up in August with a live healthy baby, not really caring much how he/she gets earthside, so long as it's screaming.
You are in my thoughts, and I'm looking forward to "meeting" Jurgen soon.

Catherine W said...

So painfully close. It just seems very unfair and cruel.

You made the choices that you did out of love for Emma. You did what you believed to me best. I wish that I could take the guilt away from you.

I had not been through a section myself so I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about but might a planned operation be a little different from the emergencies sections that you experienced with your first two children?

Juliet said...

I'm sorry you live with the what-if's. I think that no matter what the circumstances, any of us here in this community would find a case for a what-if. And they're so hard to live with. But I know that you love Emma so so much, and made every choice you made in an informed way for what would be safest for her.

I'm sorry that you aren't planning the type of birth that in other circumstances you would really like for Jurgen, but I understand that you're making the best choice, and I hope that once you see Jurgen alive and beautiful on the outside, that your joy just washes away any feelings of birthing loss.

Hope's Mama said...

Your story has always stuck with me Jill for being particularly cruel. And for that, I'm so very sorry. I know you wont relax until little Jurgen is safe in your arms. I know the feeling all too well.

Beth said...

my first instinct is to say that i'm sorry i evoked some painful realizations. i'm having a terrible time these past few weeks for several reasons that i havent publically blogged about that much. i think my sadness and hopelessness is contagious, and i'm sorry if i upset you. i think i even said that in the last comment, because it was an uplifting post, if i remember, except for the part about 7 minutes, and it was that one piece that i focused on. ive been saying i need a break from the blogs because im inundated by babyloss and im overwhelmed with the events that started this new year, the year that was supposed to be better for me, but started out with me peeing blood and the information that im not ovulating. im falling apart physically and it's making me lose my mind too.

but, i find myself coming back here none the less. because i care about all of you, especially you personally and the ones about to have a baby. i want to know you're ok.

and maybe i didnt need to apologize: that it's ok that i evoked this particular post. writing helps us heal. we all just dont want to upset each other any further than we already are.

please take good care.

Fireflyforever said...

Thank you for the kind of words everyone.

Catherine: I agree that a planned section will almost certainly be a very different experience. "My" consultant will hopefully be doing the surgery and he's agreed to lots of things that should make it a very positive experience. In the end a screaming baby will certainly trump anything else so that's all I'm truly hoping for. Anything else is just bonus.

Beth: You are right - there's no need to apologise. All this has been stewing for some time and it helped to get it out. I am sorry the new year has started with such hardship for you. I'm thinking of you lots and hoping for much better times ahead.

margaret said...

As a babylost mother who hasn't known the pain of stillbirth and who has never had a vaginal birth, I'm wondering why there seems to be so much negativity towards c-sections. I've had two which produced three live babies, my son died from complications to open heart surgery, nothing to do with his birth. For me, the birth of my twins which was a somewhat planned c-section except for the fact that they came nine days early, was the most beautiful experience ever. It was truly one of the best days of my life. I have always believed that the birth is just the means to the end, that I was more interested in having a child than a birth although I do recognize the experience is very important to some mothers. In the end, the birth experience fades quickly while the child is hopefully here for a lifetime. A planned section, much different than an emergency section is just another variation of that birthing experience and can be truly wonderful. At the end of the day, it won't be the birth anyone is focused on, it will be the child and how he or she got here won't matter. Wishing you an uncomplicated, peaceful birth. Hugs

Crystal & Warner said...

I just wanted to send hugs your way. As your story with Emma parallels our Jasmarie Nicole. And our second pregnancy didn't last very long. So I truly hope the best for you.
I share many of your same feelings and know that it's all just a process. We'll all make it thru somehow.

BIG HUGS!!

Karen said...

I didn't know the circumstances around your Emma's stillbirth, Jill. It's so eerily similar to our George. He was moving throughout my labour and then, when I was 8 cm dilated and contractions were 20 minutes apart, he was gone. Devastating. And likewise the only seeming cause is cord compression. I've agonized over countless what-ifs. I'm so sorry for your loss and I'm praying and hoping for a healthy and happy delivery for this new baby. Sending you love.

Anonymous said...

What-ifs are such horrible, cruel things. I was desperate for a natural birth with Kajsa but I now know that Lachlan's emergency section may be the reason hes with us at all and with there being a 50% chance of a reoccurence of the placental condition which affected Kajsa surgery will be the only subsequent birth option. Cant say I'm reconciled to the idea completely though.

Wishing you peace*

k@lakly said...

Caleb was/is my only vaginal delivery. My other two, born before him, were just like you, after long labors and one who got stuck and the other who had decels and we later found out a very tightly wrapped cord around her neck, ended up as c/s.
When I got pg with Cason, all I wanted was the baby out as soon as possible after the 37 week point. Although in the corners of my mind I, like every other mom I suppose, still had that image of the pain free and non surgical birth.
That being said, the scheduled c was TOTALLY DIFFERENT. I wasn't exhausted, the meds were diferent and didn't make me vomit like crazy as I had with both the others, I was able to hold Cason as soon as he was born and keep holding him into recovery and then into my room. For the rest of my life I can honestly say that being in the recovery room with him on my chest, my other two beside me and my husband holding my hand, was the very best moment of my life. (With the obvious sadnesss over who was missing there on the outskirts...).
I wish the very same for you.
xxoo

k@lakly said...

Ooops, also, there is a part of me now, that has found peace that Caleb was my only vag delivery. While it was the worst, most awful, gut wrenching experience I have ever gone through, it is also something that I have done that I only did with/for him. They talked about c/s him out and we ended up doing it vag to avoid the longer recovery from surgery. And I am glad. Somehow it sits right with me that I was able to deliver him quietly, with just my husband, a nurse and me there to witness it.
He didn't need to have a full room with an audience and neither did I.

Liz said...

oh mama. your babies are both so beautiful!
i too have been really chewing over just doing a planned c section for any future pregnancies i may be blessed with. i know my homebirth was the cause of my baby's death. anyone who trys to say it wasn't is just trying to make me feel better (my case not yours). i didnt know. if i would have i would have had her in the hospital. next time i will certainly make different choices.