So here it is - with a twist of the calender we've got here. THE month. It's an absolutely perfect, beautiful, crisp autumn day here. It won't be long before the kids and I can stop on the village green on our way home from school and fill our pockets with conkers - we didn't do that last year. Firstly, because at 39ish weeks pregnant simply waddling home was pretty much enough excitement in my day and then - well, a lot of "normality" went by the wayside through October and November and beyond.
I read Jay's beautiful meditation as she approaches Josie's first birthday too. I've known and followed Josie's story since the beginning. She and Emma were born and died just four days apart so our paths have coincided many times. Jay's musings on grief and acceptance resonate very strongly with me right now. It's true for me too - although I am sliding into a quiet melancholy, I don't feel the same rawness now as I did at the beginning and I don't feel compelled to try and recreate it for her birthday. There is a gentleness about my grief now that I'm content to live with.
Unlike many babylost parents, I'm not dreading Emma's one year day. I almost feel a sense of relief that I'm reaching that point, that I made it, that I have survived a whole twelve months without her sweet babyness here on earth. Last October I couldn't have told you I would. I don't feel as though I am passing through some portal that will separate us because I know that nothing could. I carry the essence of her with me into this second year and forever more.
Almost eleven months ago, I had an idea for a piece of art. It has remained unexecuted because I'm afraid that I lack the necessary skills to execute the fabulous idea in my head! I wanted to draw a mother's face and upper body with an outsized tear falling from her eye and an outsized heart bursting from her chest. I wanted to draw a tiny baby nestled in her tear and one in her heart and inscribe it with the words "In my tears and my ever pregnant heart" because she is. She is there, always and eternally, whether it be one year or eleven or one hundred and one. Maybe I'll screw up every tiny ounce of my limited artistic ability and actually make it one day soon. Watch this space.
7 comments:
That is a beautiful image. Our tiny babies nestled in our tears and in our hearts.
Thinking of you today xo
Jill, I love the way you think. Your writing just shines with a love for Emma that feels very generous and enriching.
Your idea for a painting sounds beautiful. I have a painting that Angie made for me which I absolutely treasure.
xx
beatiful jill! just draw it and see what happens :)
I would love to see what you create. Thinking of sweet baby Emma as we stroll in to October. Where are the months going?
xo
I love the image you described for your piece of art. It sounds beautiful.
Thinking of you and Emma throughout this month.
That painting sounds lovely, and oh so accurate.
I agree. Coming into this month I don't want to be raw and aching again (ever again). I can feel my little guy there, so close to me, but so far away. It's a different type of grief I'm carrying now - softer, gentler, but just as tangible.
*hugs*
your post makes me feel less guilty about feeling better. Matthew has only been gone 4 1/2 months yet i feel ready to be happy. i will never leave him but i do feel more free to live... yet there is the guilt. anyway, thank you for posting.
ps. this is christie at vegan in the country. i can't seem to log in as myself!
Post a Comment