Perhaps this is how it'll be here - no formal goodbye just, well, less of a presence. I made a conscious decision to walk away a couple of months ago but I knew I'd wander back. I like this place and I like the virtual friends I have made here. So, there will be no final post here. Like others before me, I'll meander back to say "Hi. How you doing?" I'll still try to read EVERYTHING that comes through my reader, fail miserably and feel guilty. I ponder posts, like the darned good one I thought about which was an extended metaphor of grief as a forest (don'tcha wish I'd been around for that scintillating piece of writing) and then reject them. I agree with Jess - I still have things to say but they aren't always about sinking in a morass of grief or even specifically about Emma any more - although all my observations of my world and my life are threaded with her and my love for her and my longing for her and the space that is not her, but not always consciously now.
So, I will still be writing and definitely still trying to read your blog too if I know of it. It's just got harder. I've just embarked into my annual foray in the world of work-at-home motherdom. Our dining room is currently home to several hundred exam papers to be graded and returned by the end of June. I do this most years and I always forget the slightly panicked feeling I get as friendly postmen unhunch themselves on my doorstep as they divest themselves of heavy looking parcels for me to pour over. I manage it all by chanting "Think of the money, think of the money" under my breath and drinking too much tea.
Besides which, I no longer have internet access during the day. Our ancient old PC has been re-sited into Ben's room, which does not have anywhere for the modem and there seems no way of asking it nicely to connect wirelessly. So, I am constrained to visiting here, via the laptop, in the evenings only when, frankly, my brain has seen better days. The PC has been moved to accommodate a cot in our room for the gorgeous and exceptionally chubby Tobias, who has now outgrown his Moses basket. I always feel slightly envious of co-sleeping mums and dads - it seems so lovely and snuggly to me but it's a no go here. My lovely husband has what I have boldly - and with no medical training at all - designated a mild sleep disorder. It's not at all bad but occasionally he acts out his dreams. I was woken a few months ago when the duvet was unceremoniously ripped off my legs and my (completely asleep) husband started slapping my legs (not hard, I want to stress!) Upon further questioning of said sleepy other half, it turns out he was "getting the aliens off [me]"! So, no little baby in the bed for us (although he does sneak in for his night-time feeds) and no more computer in our bedroom. But at least I can rest easy that I'm sorted in the event of alien invasion.
5 comments:
Those pesky aliens and their wily, leg-loving ways.
Good luck with the marking. I'm glad you'll be popping back when you can.
X
I hear ya Jill! I rarely ever blog anymore.. My blog was never specific to Dresden, but he occupied much of the space for so long.. I still think of things I want to write about all the time, but I never have time to think aqnymore. My brain cells die a little more each day and where words used to come so easy, now they just don't! I do still read though, although I don't read or post much at MDC anymore.. part of me wants to, I want to help others in our shoes.. but right now, I'm just not in the right place.. my lil' rainbow girl requires too much of me to share.. :)
If you keep coming back to say hello, I will keep coming back to say hello right back.
xo
The thought of all those exam papers sends a shiver now my spine. Good luck and definitely think of the money!
I think it's quite sweet that your hubs was trying to defend you from the evil leg attacking aliens, even whilst he was sound asleep!
I don't know. I worry that I've been hanging about these parts too long myself. I'll miss your writing and your presence. xo
Good luck getting through all those piles of papers to mark. I raise my copious cups of tea toward you! Too bad we didn't live closer so our Jedi warriors could play together and we could take turns working or supervising. Very gallant of your husband to protect you from aliens (since I'm guessing your Jedi knights were sleeping, too). ;0) xo
Post a Comment