Birthdays are a big deal in this house. The smaller members of the household traditionally ask on the first of every month, as the calender is turned, "is this my birthday month?" and, when September finally rolls around, celebrate uproariously. The older members of the family aren't much better. D. (my toyboy for the next 6 months!) knows it is not decent to compile his birthday list or plan his birthday bash for November until AFTER my birthday.
Me - I've always wanted to grow old gracefully. I've always celebrated my birthday with the belief that this year has the potential to be even better than the last. That far from ageing, I am maturing, settling into my skin. 34 is different, obviously. I still believe that this year can be better but not out of optimism really. Now it's out of a desperate and flimsy longing to know that 2009 simply cannot be worse than 2008. I'm clinging to that desire. For the first time ever, I feel old and, for the first time in my whole life, I can practically hear my ovaries creaking.
5 comments:
Happy birthday Jill. I hope that 2009 holds better things for you. I am also an ex-foolish optimist.
Sorry that I criticized the grooming of us British ladies on Glow In The Woods. The photograph you see here is of my ungroomed, hairy incarnation! I came to your blog from that discussion, I hope you don't mind and that you enjoy your birthday make-up.
xo
Wishing you peace on your birthday Jill.
Wishing you a lovely day surrounded by those that adore you, Jill. xo
I hope your birthday was great Jill... and that a sweet little eggie (Delilah, right? heeehee)made it down the path to fertilisation!! WOO!
Also, I hear ya.. I've said it all along.. 2009 simply CAN NOT be as bad as 2008.. but the negative annoying part of me.. the part that will probably always be here now.. has to add.. unless another of my babies die. :(
Happy birthday, my friend. Mine is coming up quickly and I find myself thinking the same thing - it can't be worse, it just can't. *hugs*
Post a Comment