I was so excited to see that Angie had set this up again and excited to participate. And yet, now I come to write, I'm not sure where I am or how I'm feeling right now.
Busy - I have been an at-home mum for ten years now. I am not oblivious to the privilege of having the choice to be out of paid employment for so many years. One of the things I do to facilitate this is to grade exam papers every May/June. So, right now, I'm a stay at home mother surrounded by institutional grey sacks filled with the work of some of England's 11 years old. I mark them during Toby's (increasingly fleeting) nap times and at night - leaving very little time to crack open the laptop and read blogs. So, it may take me a while to read all the other contributions; I managed to read every single one last year. I don't know if I will get that opportunity this year - I will try.
And, perhaps, that's as good a place to start as any. I still love this part of the internet and I still wish I didn't know about it but my decision to read and write is less compulsive now. I choose to be here. I choose to take a break and being away doesn't leave me bereft in quite the same way it used to.
I think that this past year - this fourth year - has been a year of integration and renewal. We talk about "new normal" enough for it almost to be a cliche. This year has felt a lot more like "old" normal. I will never be the 2007 version of myself again but some of the better parts of her have resurfaced again and I have enjoyed rediscovering them. I don't feel crippled by my grief anymore. My love for Emma has soaked into my bones and my organs - it infuses me. The missing and the longing are simply there - I don't need to summon them up, they twist and twirl around all the other joys and sadnesses and irritations and richnesses of this life.
I am enjoying watching my family grow. This is the year when I truly knew that my family is complete ... and I can use that word, although it means something different to me now than it would have done at the start of my reproductive years. I have been astonished to find there is relief in that - as well as the grief of no more babies. I recognise that I have been very fortunate in the midst of misfortune. Ben, Lucy and Toby make my world sing and I am relishing each age and stage. In September, my eldest child will be in double figures and I am looking forward (with suitable trepidation!) to navigating his journey into young adulthood with him. That sounds presumptuous - even typing it, I had to resist the urge to add an "if" or something conditional in there. I am far enough along in my grief to think that he will be okay. I'm still close enough to it, to wish to avoid any mention of the future that sounds as though I have expectations. I still want to appease fate, in case it decides to kick me hard just to teach me not to plan or hope or expect. But, assuming no disaster or tragedy, then I confess to feeling excitement about what my family is becoming. And I am hopeful that our marriage has withstood the worst ravages of our (mostly) shared grieving and intensive (over)parenting after loss. No complacency but contentment at where we are right now, together.
This past year has seen a transformation in some of the hardest, most calloused corners of my grief. I sometimes feel as though I go on and on and on about my religious beliefs on this blog but, actually looking back over it, I think the opposite is true. I think my struggles with my faith have been monumental since Emma died and I think I have avoided writing about them because I don't know what to say, because I'm concerned about looking foolish, because I don't want people who read here to be offended - all silly reasons to avoid confronting it, really. I can't pinpoint what has changed but something has these past months. My anger, which was incandescent in the early stages of my grief, has burned itself out and in the ashes I have found peace. I still don't claim to understand why Emma died or to pretend that I can completely reconcile so much suffering in the world with what I believe to be true of God but today I am okay with balancing the doubt and the certainty.
I have begun to renew friendships. It's slow work but, this past week, I have met up with two friends I have barely seen since October 2008 - and it was fun and it was fine.
And pregnant people and new babies don't cause breathlessness and a twist of the guts as once they did. I mainly feel joy at each safe birth. There will forever be a part of me that wonders why my births turned out the way they did, why my "best", most straight-forward labour should have been a death sentence on one of my children but I don't dwell there. I can't - there lies madness and I've been close enough to that edge to want to take a big step back.
Having re-read this, I'm a bit worried that I sound like the Mary Poppins of the babylost world. A spoonful sugar making the bitter medicine of infant death go down. Ah well. I can't help that - my life is mostly good now. There is much joy in it and so much to be thankful for. It's where I am right now. It's not where I am every second of every day - it's not where I would have been had I written this last week when I had one child off school with an ear infection and the other off with a sickness bug. When I had a trip to the hospital with one child for a review of a broken arm and a trip to the hospital with another for an x-ray on injured fingers (not broken, thankfully). All the while, womanfully wrestling with a toddler who is completely delightful and completely imperious and thinks that repeatedly hitting anyone who stands in his egocentric way is an acceptable form of self-expression! But, these are the stresses and strains of normal family life and, even as I want to shout with frustration, I am aware of how lucky I am to experience them.
28 comments:
I think I need to write a post on the Mary Poppins thing you touched on, because I think it turns some away from my blog now. But I think that's what happens when you're still blogging almost four years out - life is good. And I think it is important to show that. I read blogs of women a long way down the track when Hope first died and while they seemed so foreign and abstract me to me back then, it helped to see that life could one day be something special. Her death left everything so black for a long, long time. Like you said though, I can't apologise for how good things are for me now. I got lucky and I know it.
And what you said about her love infusing your life, so beautiful and perfect and true.
Love to you, dear friend.
xo
I find it so incredibly difficult to balance the babylost writing and the parenting writing, because it is mostly good, even though that has nothing to do with the dead baby. I don't know. I write about it constantly, and still can't manage to explain it properly. Thank you for sharing this, though. I don't feel so alone reading it. And that is an amazing gift of three plus years. With love, as always, my dear, lovely friend. xo
This is such a lovely post. If it doesn't sound too peculiar, I seem to read your writing in 'your' voice now Jill, having heard your wonderful video blogs!
I remember trailing you and Sally by quite some margin, last year.
I love your description of your love for Emma soaking into your bones and organs, like an infusion. I think that must be the warmth I feel in your writing and hear in your voice, that deep love for your children.
I'm glad to read of your optimism for the future, I can't see anything past 'no more babies' at the present time and it comforts me to know that there is excitement and anticipation yet to come.
I've found your reflections on religious beliefs interesting to read as it is something I struggle with myself. I also tend not to write about it (for many of the reasons that you've outlined here) but I do think about it a great deal. I think it is possible to reach a reconciliation but that it is very hard to articulate the process by how that is achieved? See what I mean? I don't think that made any sense?!
And yes, even amidst the stresses and the strains and occasionally mind boggling frustration (Reuben meet Toby, your kindred spirit!) just a feeling of how unbelievably lucky I am. That they are alive, that I am alive. Such a gift x
I am so glad that life is good! I agree with Hope's Mama that it is important for people closer to their loss to see that the pain will not always feel so raw. I remember feeling defeated when people would tell me in those early weeks, "it still hurts after so many years." I thought, how can I live with this pain forever? What it took a couple of months to realize is that it will still hurt, but not in the same way.
I am not there yet at a point where life feels happy and full, but I hope to be someday!
This is a beautiful post. Like Angie I have a hard time balancing the loss and parenting writing too. Even at 2 years out life is good, it's a blessing. I've learned to live without her; as you said she is in my bones, a part of me.
I don't think you (or Sally) sound Mary Poppins at all. You are simply further out in this journey and sharing the beauty that can line a path once so stricken with darkness. That is a beautiful thing.. no need to apologize for it. I know there are still moments when your heart aches- and always will be. And I appreciate the view from further out.. so thank you and a big hug to you!!
xo-L
I read your posts now, and can hear your lovely voice thanks to the videos you've posted before.
There's so much you've written here that I almost understand, I often feel like I'm trailing along behind you a litle way, you do give me hope.
I can almost say that Florence is integrated as you describe Emma, but not quite...though I can see she nearly is...does that even make sense?
And oh, the relief that I don't have the only hitting toddler...:0)
I think about this post and your wilderness post, and of that space in between the regular world and the dark forest, and I'm so glad to read your words here and so grateful for all the hope and love in them. I don't see you as Mary Poppins. Well, perhaps a tiny bit, but I rather like Mary Poppins and there are definitely worse role models.
And I'm so very grateful for your honest and thoughtful reflections on faith in the wake of Emma's death. They speak so much to my own struggles, and knowing that you've been able to find peace with that part of your life is heartening and hopeful.
I've got a post holed up in me too about something similar. I realised that hardly anyone comes to my blog from this section of the world because, I suppose, it was never just a grief blog and because I found it hard to go into a world where people had time to focus on grief.
So I didn't support, outside a few people I clung to, and got less support back, except from those few people. I'm startled by my absence, as I go round.
So thank goodness for you and Catherine and Jeanette and Angela and Sally and those others oh came and kept coming.
Thank you for leading the way for me and I am so very glad to her you sounding happy.
Posts like this one are a glimpse into my future. I can only hope things work out so that I'll be feeling like this, further down the road. Thank you for sharing where you are.
Nothing wrong with a little Mary Poppins in everyone's life...I wish I could channel some Mary Poppins right now to get my newborn rainbow to sleep LOL...thank you for sharing your story...so very sorry for your losses... <3
I love your post and how peaceful you sound... it's an inspiration to hear of the light through grief and the peace after the pain. I'm so sorry to hear about your darling Emma and here with you every step of the way xoxo
"I will never be the 2007 version of myself again but some of the better parts of her have resurfaced again and I have enjoyed rediscovering them. . . . The missing and the longing are simply there - I don't need to summon them up, they twist and twirl around all the other joys and sadnesses and irritations and richnesses of this life."
This fits me perfectly. And that last line too. It is nice to start finding some of the pieces of yourself again isn't it? And finding you rather like some of them.
I agree with Sally. It is important for those of us closer to our loss to see that life gets sweet again. Thank you for sharing the sadness and the happiness.
Beautiful post - thank you for sharing. It's encouraging to see where everyone is further out from their loss -- that it just becomes part of life, rather than the entirety of life. I look forward to reading more.
I'm sorry if you get two comments from me, but my browser messed up when I left your first comment. I just wanted to thank you for your comment on my post. I'm so sorry for your losses. I love the name Emma Faith...so pretty. Congrats on your rainbow, also!
In the early weeks and months of my loss, and even now, I would welcome a Mary Poppins to offer me kind, optimistic, no-nonsense advice. I hope so hard that four years out I have a sense of "old normal." it's especially nice to hear that you've reconnected with some old friends. My second biggest loss after Eliza was the distance I had to put between myself and my best friend, who had a healthy baby boy just two months before my loss. I hope we can reconnect, but it's still a struggle for me.
Thank you for sharing your heart and thoughts. Emma Faith is such a beautiful name for such a beautiful little girl. My sister's name is Emma, so the name has a special place in my heart.
I can relate to so much of what you said...at two years and three months out, Lily and the loss of her have just become etched into my being. It's not always sadness.
I am glad to read that over the next couple years in my grief journey, I can expect to heal even more. Never forgetting or getting over, but healing.
Much love and hugs,
Hannah Rose
Hi,
Just wanted to say that I read this. It was good. It's not where I am and that's ok. Actually, I find it hard to ever imagine being where you are. But maybe it will come. Thanks for the post.
Em
You don't sound Mary Poppins to me, I think it's so important to hear that things in life can be good and wonderful. I also know that no matter how happy and good things are you still love and miss Emma so much. You have found a way to balance these or at least that's what I see form your posts. It brings me hope that I will be able to do the same.
PS I love that you have been brave enough to post youtube posts in the past because now when I read your posts I can imagine you saying them to me in your own words. So beautiful :)
Lovely post, Miss Poppins. And I love that you can be like that.
I miss Emma too.
Love you.
xxx
Beautifully written. I thinks its a breath of fresh air to know it gets easier. It's nice to see you cab breath better. I'm so sorry for you losses. Your family is beautiful!!
We are in such similar places. I too can handle new babys and baby showers and have found my family to be complete, although not in the sense that I would have thought of that word 4 years ago. I'm glad you have a little Mary Poppins in your step, I do to and I think that is a way we have come to honor our children. xo
Oh, so true:
"I still love this part of the internet and I still wish I didn't know about it but my decision to read and write is less compulsive now. I choose to be here. I choose to take a break and being away doesn't leave me bereft in quite the same way it used to."
Totally. I'm so grateful to have found this community, to get the support from friends & strangers alike... I wouldn't ever want to be where I am without my blogroll by my side.
If that makes us Mary Poppins (made me chuckle).. then so be it. We have dead babies, as long as we don't kidnap other people's kids, we're as close to normal as we can be.
Thanks for your lovely comment you left in my neck of the woods. xo
I read a post by Carly in the Still Standing Magazine the other day, where she said something to the extent that the fragments of our personalities are still there, like a mosaic. This post makes me think of that - a mosaic, broken, but still beautiful and full of joy. I'm so glad that is where you are. Remembering your sweet Emma with you and, wishing you peace so that you can stay in this place where:
"The missing and the longing are simply there - I don't need to summon them up, they twist and twirl around all the other joys and sadnesses and irritations
and richnesses of this life."
Thank you for sharing your view from farther down the road. I actually don't find it particularly "Mary Poppins-y," but it does offer hope for someone not quite as far along yet, that perhaps I too can find "peace in the ashes" and "balance the doubt and the certainty" in my faith, which has been difficult.
Thinking of your precious Emma Faith.
Thank you for this post. I can see my self in it...out there in the future.
I too try to let go of how difficult all of my delivery experiences have been. It's hard not to feel jealous of others easy road. I don't talk much about it, but stell came very very close to dying at her birth. A brilliant team of doctors saved her. Then Margot did die. Then Leo was born with complications and I'm still struggling physically in the aftermath. It's frustrating. But I try to keep perspective. It could be so much worse.
Love this post. Thank you for sharing.
Please dont feel bad for telling us your doing ok. We need to hear that in whatever amount of time there is hope for life being good again, for old parts of ourself to resurface. I know I cant rush it but it helps to know that its possible. Thank you so much for sharing!!!
Post a Comment