Wednesday, 18 November 2009

Joy and Fear and Trust.

So, I had a nesting urge this week. I went with it. I can honestly say that I just didn't get this when I was pregnant with Emma. It's one of the things I look back on, now and wonder if I had an intuition stronger than I realised. I felt uncomfortable buying anything. I did wash clothes and prepare but not with the same urgency that I had felt with my first two pregnancies. Maybe I'm reading too much into it or maybe I'm not ... Either way, I decided to embrace the urge to get some things ready this week.

With hindsight, I should probably have waited. As we don't know Jurgen's gender, I'm washing all the neutrals, a few girls and a few boys things. I really don't have a problem with my newborn boy wearing a pink sleepsuit or my newborn girl wearing her brother's things. The trouble is, I only have the girl clothes here with me currently. I passed along all the boy things when my nephew was born back in May and I haven't got round to collecting them again yet. I don't know if mixing the (oceans and oceans) of pink with a bit of manly blue would have made the job any easier. Perhaps. I know I spent Monday morning sitting on my little boy's floor sobbing into a pile of pink clothes - remembering when my first daughter wore them, remembering when my second daughter didn't. I missed her so profoundly then. It wasn't anger or denial or any of the other complex grief emotions - just straight out MISSING my baby. I want her, I want HER. I want my Emma ...

And I want Jurgen. I know there have been several posts in different places recently on the subject of subsequent/replacement babies. I don't go to that place in my mind very often. Physically, it is possible that I could have had both children but realistically, it's not that likely. I tend to avoid the difficult emotions that the subject evokes. Simply, I am sad I don't have Emma and I'm enormously joyful and grateful for this new pregnancy and the possibility of a new baby. There was joy too as I sat surrounded by piles of tiny clothes. The end still seems so far away - I still can't quite imagine that it will work out this time but as I sorted teeny-tiny clothes, there was a definite spark of hope that someone will get to fill them out and outgrow them this time.

I realised, as I poured clothes into the washing machine and arranged them on radiators, that the fear and the joy are ever present and entwined but there's a big hole where the trust should be. The first three times I was pregnant I trusted my body to grow a healthy baby. That trust was eroded slightly by two difficult births and blown away completely by a catastrophic one. I trusted God to protect my babies. A year on, I'm still feeling my way with that one. Still trying to fathom what it is I now believe about the way the universe works, about what I trust outside of myself. But trusting in something felt like a safety net and it's pretty terrifying walking this tightrope without one.

8 comments:

Shannon Ryan said...

im glad you gave into those nesting urges! is hard, i know.. but little jurgen will be here before you know it! i can wait!!!!

Beth said...

beautiful post. i have said many times.. i want my second child.. of course i do. but my second child will not be a replacement for kathlyn... i wanted a second child in the first place. i want them both. and i will spend my life trying to resolve this.

Karen said...

Thinking of you and sending you all good thoughts. (((Hugs)))

margaret said...

That mistrust of my body's ability to do it's job in pregnancy had me hang up my tubes for good. I wish I hadn't. There's something so wonderful and joyous about the hope a new baby brings with them. Nesting sounds wonderful, I always left it too long and then didn't get to do it. Enjoy. Hugs

Catherine W said...

Oh Jill. The image of you surrounded by all those tiny pink clothes has me in tears. You are so brave my dear. I wish your second little girl had worn those clothes. So much.

I'm glad you found some joy in the nesting process. I'm sure that little Jurgen knows how much love is waiting for him or her. It is so hard to find trust again. I only wish I knew how. xo

Nan & Mike said...

Just sending hugs and lots of prayers for continued strength...Nan xo

Once A Mother said...

I can only imagine how tough a tight rope that is to walk. Know that we are all praying for you for continued strength. I know how hard it is to face life without any sense of a safety net, but I admire your bravery and think it is wonderful that you allowed yourself to enjoy the nesting.

Christie said...

Oh Jill, just picturing you dropping the baby clothes into the washer and fighting your fears makes me feel so happy/sad for you. I'm just delving into these subsequent pregnancy emotions but reading yours is very helpful for me. Thank you for sharing. You are most definitely in my prayers and warm, fuzzy, happy thoughts. (((hugs)))

ps. this is christie at veganinthecountry, open id won't let me sign in. thank you so much for your own undertsanding comments on my blog!