Thursday, 6 August 2009

Healing & Holidays

I love the sea. I always find being near it calms me in a way that nothing else can. We don't have a great line in palm fringed sandy paradises with calm azure waters here in the North East of England. Our coastline is rugged and dramatic and beautiful. It rains a lot too. Standing by the sea here is a salutary reminder of nature's power and its unpredictability. The coast round here is studded with ruined castles, relics from an era when Vikings and others ravaged our little bit of England, the sea is studded with wrecks of ships who have come a cropper in these dangerous waters.


Last year we loaded up our brand new people carrier (well, brand new to us), bought to accommodate our need for 3 car seats, and trooped to a cottage on the Northumbrian coast. I was 34 weeks pregnant and we were all so happy. The weather was blissful and we stayed on the beach from morning (well lunchtime by the time I'd had my nap) until night.

D. & I headed back this way in November. The friends who let us use their cottage gifted us with a weekend here - a tiny opportunity to heal in the bleakest and darkest of days. We left the little ones with auntie, loaded up the too big car with logs for the open fire and lots and lots and lots of wine and comfort food. We hid away for a day or two.

... and we came back this year, uncertain if we were doing the right thing. Coming back without Emma. It was bittersweet, of course. How could it not be? But it was still a lovely holiday. The weather was not so kind this year but it was still good enough to spend our days building sandcastles and certainly not cold enough to deter our eldest daughter (who is almost certainly part mermaid) from braving the sea!


We arrived late afternoon on Monday and went for an evening stroll on the beach. Reaching out over the sea was a beautiful and vibrant rainbow. It wasn't the weak or vacillating sort. It was a perfect arch and it lasted the whole time we walked and played and climbed over the dunes back to our car. We claimed it as a good sign, a promise. Of what? I'm not too sure really. Of hope for brighter times to come I think.

Most mornings our children played outside the cottage whilst we got ready to head out. There is a family who have made a life for themselves, in this very remote spot. They live there all year round, the only permanent residents in a row of holiday homes. Their three children let ours use their ride along tractors and climbing frames and secret dens last year, and the friendships were renewed this year. We didn't really get to know the parents last year but I remember that their mother gave us a sympathetic and sad smile as we were leaving last November. This year, she cajoled me around for tea and parsnip cake (yes, really. Root vegetable cake! It's absolutely delicious). As I've said on this blog many times, I don't really socialise any more. Actually making small talk with a stranger ranks pretty high on my list of nightmares but I braced myself and went. She was lovely. Without any preamble she poured tea and said, "I'm so very sorry for your loss". Someone who said the right thing. How incredible is that?

"The same happened to me nine years ago. Our first child, our first son was stillborn." That's how she knew what to say. I always feel so sad when I hear that somebody else has lived through this awful experience but there is such relief in pouring it all out to someone who truly knows.

Yes, this holiday certainly had its sad moments. I stood on the beach and ached to know how Emma would have reacted to sand - would she have eaten it? (a la big sister) Would she have screamed at the sight of it? (a la big brother) Would she have a completely different reaction all of her own?

But, you know there were moments of peace and joy and even, maybe, a tiny bit of healing.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

that IS incredible. i long for that kind of surprise too. in time, i hope to be that other woman who can let someone new on this journey know that they are not alone. i'm glad you experienced some joy and healing on your trip. (((hugs)))

Juliet said...

It's so beautiful when others reach out and share their story. I'm glad that there were moments of beauty during your holiday.

Hope's Mama said...

I find it so hard to socialise, too. It is one thing I am really struggling with, as I've always been a very social person, and very easy around other people. Not anymore. Today I was talking with an old friend, who is much older than me, but he lost a teenage son three years ago to suicide. And even though our situations are worlds apart, it was so comforting because he just GOT IT. It cuts out so much of the bullshit when you can just talk, be yourself, share your pain and not fear judgement.
Missing Emma with you.

Monica said...

I like your description of moments of beauty, and I like that you say "whilst."

Mirne said...

It sounds beautiful ... a beautiful place to enjoy some time. We need to meet people like your "neighbour" once in a while ... just to remind us that we're not alone ... that others have gone before ... that others know where we are.

Once A Mother said...

it's a beautiful and comforting thing, when amongst all the pain and isolation of grief, you find a soul who truly understands and knows just what to say.

Shannon Ryan said...

I'm glad you had a nice holiday Jill.. and got to talk to another one of 'us' I always find it so devastating when I learn of someone else. :( But it's also nice to have a common interest that is so deep and having someone who really gets it!

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Jill. Thinking of your beautiful rainbow - I'm not usually one for signs but it fills me with hope xx

Leila's mommy said...

yes, it is comforting to find someone who understands, who says the right thing. but at the same time, it makes me so sad to keep finding out how big this sad club really is. you just have no idea until you're IN this club.
i'm glad you had a nice trip, complete with rainbow.

k@lakly said...

It is always so bittersweet to meet and share IRL with a kindred spirit.
The friendship and cake sound perfect.

Rachele Stuart said...

*hugs* Your vacation sounds like it was wonderful. I agree - knowing someone else has lived through it is horrid, but knowing that they still live and understand where you are is an incredible comfort.

*hugs*